My wife (who graciously agreed to help run motherfuckyeahnickfury with me) and I have gone through, oh, about 150-250 pages each of both the Nick Fury and Samuel L Jackson tags together, queuing up content to keep the blog active for months to come while we also regularly reblog new content.
And holy shit, if the travel thus far has taught us anything, it’s that fandom sucks. No, seriously. Fandom is racist, obnoxious, and fucking stupid. The number of white people who think literally every black actor older than 25 is Samuel L Jackson, is grossly high. The number of white people who include Fury in their otherwise all-white photosets because he’s the funny gruff old black guy and thus pleasing to them rather than threatening like Rhodey, is grossly high. The number of shitty Stony and ClintCoulson shippers who shove him into their fics for a blink for laughs and then tag it Nick Fury, is grossly high. The number of white people who seem to think Samuel L Jackson is scary and would physically harm them if they called him cute/sweet to his face is bizarrely high (seriously why does everyone think this?) The number of white people who seem to think Nick only exists to sass back and forth with Tony or Loki and then go back into his box, is grossly high.
I am white. And there’s a lot of content I’ve come across that’s smacked me in the face with how shitty I am about this stuff too. Like overusing cursing in Nick’s dialogue because I think it’s funny, but really it’s because I’m putting Fury in the same ‘rambunctious black neighbor’ trope that’s really popular on the news, shown only to say a few rough-languaged things so we white people can all laugh and then go back to the important white business. Like limiting his presence in my muses to ‘guy who comes in to give orders and then leave, or guy who’s off in Europe somewhere kicking HYDRA ass but let’s not think too heavily on it, it’s not as fun as chasing Bucky roadtrip!’ Like headcanoning his character into a father figure to everyone and thereby making his character one of familial connections only, without agency and without romantic or friendship based relationships. I don’t always do these things (I claim to love Fury to pieces and it’s true, it’s fucking true) but I do them enough that I need to be mindful of how I treat his character and how I apply those behaviors to creating content about his character.
Fuck me and anything I’ve ever said/done to keep perpetuating this shittiness. I can do better. Fandom can do better. Nick Fury watched everything he’d ever done in his life burn to the ground, then razed what hold it had left on him in that storage unit, and dusted the ashes off his shoulders so he could keep going even if it’s alone. Nick Fury has friends, loved ones, and a whole fuckton of trust issues. Nick Fury keeps his eye on the big picture, the long game, and he’s not afraid to make hard decisions to make sure the world is on the right track, even if that means Captain America looks at you with judgement and mistrust, Natasha Romanoff looks at you with betrayal, and Phil Coulson looks at you with anger and confusion. Even if that means you have to ask your friends to lie and hurt on your behalf. Even if that means you have to die to make sure that long game has a better chance in the future.
Nick Fury is not white fandom’s funny uncle. Nick Fury is a badass worth a hundred thousand words of meta, a million words of fanfiction, a thousand detailed graphics photosets and gifsets that include all the nuanced little expressions he makes, two dozen ships with fangirl tears and capslock, a million lowercase-written headcanons, and a billion keyboard smashed tags detailing all the feels you can’t help but get caught up in whenever you see him snark, bleed, laugh tiredly, look disappointed, or smile. Nick Fury is worth every fucking bit of what we give to all our white dude characters, and fuck everyone, including me, for not acknowledging that often or extensively enough.
ok thanks for reading ilu :)
tags via dammit-mcu
SOMETIMES I GO BACK AND WATCH THE “THAT’S MY ROOM” BIT
JUST TO REMIND MYSELF HOW RALEIGH HAS LITERAL STARS IN HIS EYES AS HE LOOKS AT MAKO
HE IS LETTING OUT A DREAMY SIGH AS SHE WALKS PAST HIM
HE IS WRITING “MR. MAKO MORI” ON AN INVISIBLE TRAPPER KEEPER IN HIS HEART
AND THAT ON ITS OWN IS WORTH IT
BUT IF I STICK AROUND A FEW SECONDS LONGER I ALSO GET TO SEE THE MOMENT WHERE HE SAYS THIS IS WORTH FIGHTING FOR AND MAKO STARTS TO TURN AROUND
AND WE THE AUDIENCE THINK SHE IS ABOUT TO GET TALKED INTO IT
LIKE RALEIGH’S ABOUT TO BUST OUT WITH “A WHOLE NEW WORLD” AND THEY’LL GO ON A MAGIC JAEGER RIDE BECAUSE FUCK EVERYONE
BUT SHE ISN’T
AND SHE SHUTS HIM DOWN
AND THEN HE SAYS “WILL YOU AT LEAST TELL ME WHAT HIS PROBLEM IS”
AND SHE SHUTS
IN HIS FACE
GOD BLESS PACIFIC RIM
#ALL THESE LITTLE MOMENTS OF NO BE QUIET WHITE MAN PROTAGONIST #THEY DO MY HEART SO MUCH GOOD (tags from hauntedjaeger)
A new study shows that mind-to-mind communication between two people is totally possible, bringing our Pacific Rim dreams closer to reality.
Why FCKH8 is NOT an Ally to the Queer Community
- That time they made fun of asexuality and diversity of the queer community in one fell swoop
- That time they became hypocrites about it to avoid being called acephobic (not to mention cissexist/ not trans* inclusive)
- That time they used misogyny to empower cis gay men, alienate lesbians, forget about bisexuality, and be cissexist about all forms of sexuality
- That time they stole ideas from queer charities to make a profit
- That time they stole ideas from bloggers to make a profit
- That time reviews show just how shitty they are at doing business anways
- That time they paralleled racial segregation to the gay rights movement because they are definitely the same thing
- That time they used stereotypes of Black women to render them into props
- That time they ignored gender neutral pronouns, cited religion as a reason for doing so, and harassed someone over it
- Basically all of the stuff folks are reporting on this tumblr I keep linking ya’ll to
They harass and disrespect people on their facebook page. They are actively cissexist, transphobic, asexual erasing, racist, sexist, and misogynist in order to sell shitty, overpriced t-shirts that they stole from charities.
So in other words, fuck fckh8.
(I understand that a lot of parodies of fckh8 have recently appeared on tumblr and other social network websites. As far as I am aware none of the links I have posted above are parodies, and are actually associated with fckh8.
If you notice any disparities, please let me know.)
Pronouns, right? Super weird little lexical referents.
My site moved to a new host, so everything should be better now! Everything - my site, my comic, my life, my cats, my cooking, my sex. Everything.
Read the thing people.
- Ferguson’s massive cover-up: How police departments are protecting Darren Wilson
- STL grand jury weighs charges in Ferguson shooting
- Some Ferguson protesters shift focus to city’s historic district
- 11 things you should know about the murder of Mike Brown
- 5000 show up to Ferguson job fair
- When all the angels are white.
- Can black children be “angels”? The history behind the NY Times insult to Mike Brown.
- Moving beyond anger in Ferguson: A health journalists perspective
- Michael Brown Sr. to Darren Wilson: “Turn yourself in right now”
- How companies are profiting from police crackdowns
- Letter from The Criminal Justice Graduate Student Association of Eastern Kentucky Universtiy
- Teaching #Ferguson resources
- ArchCity Defenders: Municipal Courts White Paper
Bucky getting excited about technology (and pissing off the Starks) 1943-2014.
here for science groupy bucky enthusiastic over lola and thinking modern technology is really cool steve adapts but bucky views things with wonderment also here for bucky somewhat understanding the inner workings of his arm because he observed hydra they thought that he wouldn’t get it but bucky’s always just the guy who defies expectations and assumptions (via fuckyousebstan)
marvel movies that need to be made, stat.
Kelly Link is the greatest.
All the Kelly Link appreciation.